Ko'Olina
Please feel free to click on any post photo to enlarge it.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Impulse Buying at Office Max

When I was teaching 1st grade in Illinois, I was always looking for bargains at Office Depot or Office Max.  There were always things I needed for the classroom.  I'm retired now.  I don't need too many office supplies.  And yet I'm drawn to them.  Why?

Office Max was having one of their 20% off everything you could fit in their grocery bag.  There was nothing I needed.  

However, I did want to get that certain Paper Mate Flexigrip pen I love and keep losing.

Unfortunately they didn't have it.

However, once we started wandering around the store, I found a bunch of things I just couldn't resist.  I didn't need them.  I really didn't.  It was New Year's Eve and nobody was in the store so all the sales associates were very friendly.  They kept reminding me that there were a lot of fun Clearance items on sale that I could buy and then add another 20% off.  (I just love the word CLEARANCE.)


See that cute little notebook in the shape of a dress.  I just knew my 6 year old granddaughter would love that.  And what about these teeny little, colorful plastic Really Useful Boxes?  I'm sure I could find something to put in them.  And then there were these magnetic note pads for the refrigerator.  I really needed them.

And then there were these Post-It notes.  They're 2 inch squares, regular $3.49 down to $1.00!  20% off and it's 80 cents!  Did I need four of them?  Seriously?  I justified my purchase saying they were for Jon who is in grad school and my granddaughter who is in kindergarten.  I'm sure they could use them at school.

Art thought I'd lost my mind, but for less than $10 he felt I could end the year with some nonsensical, impulsive, fun presents for myself.

I'll bet Office Depot has those Flexigrip pens, but Art will probably keep me away from office supply stores for awhile.

POSTSCRIPT:  My very wonderful daughter just found those Flexigrip pens and is already having them sent to me.  2013 is sure starting off wonderfully!

22 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. Picking up a few little things at Office Max is addictive. I went to buy a $7.00 desk calendar, which I get every year. In my 20 percent off bag, I carried five used printer ink cartridges for Office Max to recycle and credit to my account. After a bit of browsing I had enough stuff to fill part of the bag. Total cost after the discount was $25. Oh well, by filling out the customer survey on my puter I got a $5 coupon good for my next $25 Office Max purchase. I shall return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow! You are my kind of shopper. I forgot about that ink cartridge credit. I thought they discontinued it.

      Delete
  2. Those are great buys. We don't have an Office Max near me. We usually go to Office Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also drawn to those kinds of purchases, but I resist, since I don't use the ones I already have. Art is right: it's pretty harmless pleasure for you to browse and buy these things. And others will appreciate them, I'm sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its very healthy impulse buys , great buys!!You are always thinking of others, what a sweet heart,

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's my girlfriend's favorite two stores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like a pretty harmless shopping binge....and that was a great deal on the Post-it notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am drawn to office supplies. I have been retired for 12 years yet cannot resist buying something when I go to Staples. I am envious of all your purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm.... We don't have a Staples store here. I shall have to check it out the next time I'm on the mainland.

      Delete
  8. Mmmm! Pens and office supplies! You are my kinda gal!
    Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have had two grocery bags full . . . can't resist stationery:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sometimes you just have to shop! lol...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I buy the same boxes but in very large sizes for church archive storage. They really are wonderful. but, I've never seen the big ones on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2013 will be a very lucky year, as you learned very early in January.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a sucker for sales...especially clearance sales. You're mild by comparison...I have to organize my stock. Much wasted money but I think I've bought enough for the next 10 years...possibly for the rest of my life. Borderline hoarder ugh!

    L....w

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always drawn to the Clearance racks! I just saw my pen/marker collection and... ooops! I just have to stop!

      Delete
  14. That's why I stay away from the clearance section at office stores!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have that same problem in office stores and art stores. Tho I do need paper, I certainly don't need anything else. Today, ten good size boxes of art supplies, papers, and things for scrapbooking were donated to the store. I was right there sorting and drewling all over the inks and brushes and the.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. It must be a teacher thing, but I love office supply stores too! I love your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I do think it's a teacher thing. :-)

      Delete
  17. I've always loved stationery shops. I spent all of my pocket money in them when I was a child and I'm still drawn to them. And you're right, we can always find something useful when we start to look around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like fun. OK, Kay, you got the paper, start writing.

    ReplyDelete

I really LOVE hearing from you!

However, if you sign in as ANONYMOUS, please don't forget to tell me who you are in the comment box by just writing your first name. We would all appreciate it if you kept your comment respectful and kind.

I apologize for having to use Word Verification occasionally, but the SPAM is making me crazy.