One burned out on this same track a month ago and we were so incensed that we replaced it with an energy saving dimmable halogen bulb. Now another CFL popped this morning during breakfast.
All around the house, we've seen these curly bulbs pop and burn out within a year or two (if we're lucky). I'm wondering how good this is for the environment.
It may save energy, but the bulbs contain mercury. Snopes says one bulb breaking doesn't contain enough mercury to harm you, but needs to be handled with care. OK. That's one bulb, but think about your landfill full of these broken bulbs containing mercury. Then what?
The CFLs also promise to last for 7 years or whatever. None of our bulbs have lasted a whole lot beyond a year. The long florescent tubes are really durable, but the CFLs are really a disappointment.
If we didn't have our solar panels, I would have to think about this further. However, for the heavy usage areas where we might turn the lights on and off more than a couple of times a day, I think we'll change to incandescent. Aren't they talking about discontinuing making them? I sure hope they don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
How have your CFLs been doing?