Art has been totally occupied these past two weeks with a section of our dining room.
What is our dining room now used to be a fold-a-way bedroom...sort of. The walls were actually an accordion of louvered doors that could be pushed back into a housing to enlarge the living room for entertainment. It's hard to explain. I wish I'd taken a photo of the accordion walls because it was quite ingenious. However, we needed a dining room where we could entertain that would have more light so that bedroom had to go.
We did the demolition ourselves 4 years ago and it was a lot of work.
Art managed to take care of everything else (with my help at times) but that one area by the closet was a challenge that he kept putting off.
There was that piece of wood at the top that cut right into the moulding and hung out over the room. It was a good thing we (Art actually) kept a lot of our demolition redwood scrap wood.
Two weeks ago, he took that unsightly piece of board off...
and was left with a bigger hole.
He used just one slat of the louvered section and made it into a door.
He put a door knob on it and framed it out of various pieces of his stash of redwood boards. I got to help too by caulking and painting that hole in the moulding where Art fashioned a wedge of wood to cover the hole.
So after four years, it's done! I wonder which project he'll tackle next. There's a ton to choose from.
However, now we're ready for another Cousins Pot Luck tomorrow; this time it's for his side of the family.