Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Feelies and Young Kids?
Art and my mom have lovely, easy conversations. However, I know that each understands about 75% of what the other says. Still, that missing 25% can be crucial. The problem is that my mother mixes Japanese in with her pidgin English and Art will occasionally use English word combinations that she doesn't understand.
Last night, I heard mom tell Art, "I just saw on TV it's Feelies."
"What?" said Art. I saw him shake his head in puzzlement.
"Feelies and Young Kids, yeah?" explained Mom helpfully.
"Young Kids?" I could see Art struggling through all the things this could be about.
Finally I had to step in while I could still talk. I could hardly stop laughing. "She means the Phillies and Yankees. It's something she saw in the Japanese news."
"Yes," she said, "The World Cereals."